- RT @ssfrug: E.g., whatever we know about where you might find 1 FR 1 will be (and remain) at https://t.co/Sdto7qB3mv (resolver refinements… 11:44:43, 2017-05-30
- CrowdJustice, the crowdfunding platform for public interest litigation, raises $2M and heads https://t.co/2rpILzmG51 via @techcrunch 16:43:48, 2017-05-30
Polygon: Everything coming to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and HBO in June. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwx53E0jk
- My Twitter Digest for 05/24/2017 https://t.co/ADT0MYpnMX 15:31:08, 2017-05-25
- RT @caliorg: Happy to announce that @NSLTtech is a new sponsor at #CALIcon17. https://t.co/dxuEycBvEq #legaltech #legaled #lawfaculty #lawl… 17:26:49, 2017-05-25
- RT @txtbks: Wow! @OpenStax has saved students $193 million through openly licensed textbooks #OTSummit17 https://t.co/ISTXKNOcRx 17:29:15, 2017-05-25
- GameSpot: Netflix: Here’s What’s New And Leaving In June 2017 https://t.co/IpUigI66CO 06:56:58, 2017-05-24
- Droid Life: Comcast’s Xfinity Mobile is Live for Internet Subscribers, Costs Just $45 for Unlimited (For Now) https://t.co/dUKrAv6lSJ 07:01:08, 2017-05-24
- RT @johnpmayer: Here's the complete slidedeck from the presentation for @atjtechfellows @A2JAuthor https://t.co/l7d8kBKLMv 08:49:24, 2017-05-24
- RT @johnpmayer: Forgot to add the link on Slideshare – here it is – https://t.co/UxfaiZD5y3 https://t.co/vBpgKcJSUv 09:06:24, 2017-05-24
- My Twitter Digest for 05/23/2017 https://t.co/DpKloyXfKw 15:31:08, 2017-05-24
- Did you know that MySQL 5.7 has a native JSON data type? https://t.co/X7iNmCD1pT 11:02:41, 2017-05-23
- RT @Dries: Blog post: Acquia's next phase https://t.co/b6uMV6xxet #drupal 14:26:57, 2017-05-23
- RT @debgpi: Some interesting (and some inexplicable – another law case portal?) new legal start ups here: https://t.co/3OSsdb9f43 14:30:18, 2017-05-23
- My Twitter Digest for 05/22/2017 https://t.co/7egAf3Br4o 15:30:39, 2017-05-23
Droid Life: Comcast’s Xfinity Mobile is Live for Internet Subscribers, Costs Just $45 for Unlimited (For Now) http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw-_qR0Tk
GameSpot: Netflix: Here’s What’s New And Leaving In June 2017. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwg6D49zQ
- RT @lawyerist: How to Organize Paperless Client Files https://t.co/n8wsRs5r2W 08:34:42, 2017-05-22
- RT @kemitchell: Software service legal multitool is coming along https://t.co/ZKmmwMOP2s 08:37:39, 2017-05-22
- RT @wpmudev: #WordPress REST API For Dummies https://t.co/8LE5FLsm88 via @wplift 08:40:12, 2017-05-22
- The @caliorg website is down due to a database issue. We are working on it and will have it online again shortly. 09:31:09, 2017-05-22
- @caliorg The website is back online. in reply to emasters 09:43:15, 2017-05-22
MySQL introduced a native JSON data type in MySQL 5.7. So like an integer, a char, or a real, there became a way to store an entire JSON document in a column in a table of a database—and this document in a column could be roughly a gigabyte in size! The server would make sure it was a valid JSON document and then save it in a binary format that’s optimized for searching. This new data type has probably been responsible for more upgrades of MySQL than any other feature.
The data type also comes with over 20 functions. These functions will extract key-value pairs from the document, update data, provide metadata about the data, output non-JSON columns in JSON format, and more. And it’s much easier on the psyche than REGEX.
Well, I guess I really do need to update to MySQL 5.7 and keep track of what’s going on in version 8 development.
From the MySQL 5.7 docs on the JSON data type:
As of MySQL 5.7.8, MySQL supports a native
JSONdata type provides these advantages over storing JSON-format strings in a string column:
- Automatic validation of JSON documents stored in
JSONcolumns. Invalid documents produce an error.
- Optimized storage format. JSON documents stored in
JSONcolumns are converted to an internal format that permits quick read access to document elements. When the server later must read a JSON value stored in this binary format, the value need not be parsed from a text representation. The binary format is structured to enable the server to look up subobjects or nested values directly by key or array index without reading all values before or after them in the document.
I’ve got a number of project that would benefit from this right now.
- RT @textfiles: Hey, our experiment with Hypercard continues – @mrstephencole put every BMUG CD-ROM Stack on one emulated item! https://t.co… 09:46:09, 2017-05-19
- Pressbooks working with Ryerson University on eCampusOntario grant: “Open Publishing Infrastructure” https://t.co/N28txbs6pq via @Pressbooks 11:13:22, 2017-05-19
- #CALIcon17 schedule is up https://t.co/GLRQbSqE9A. 6/15-16 2017 Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law Arizona State University Phoenix, AZ 12:14:41, 2017-05-19
- My Twitter Digest for 05/18/2017 https://t.co/A5vxAmxoh4 15:30:42, 2017-05-19
- RT @vrhinesmith: Wanna work with @citizenlab @privacyint @derechosdigital @datasociety | Apply to be an Open Web Fellows (Due May 21) https… 15:50:16, 2017-05-19