- Bibliography on Education Reform, courtesy of Patricia Salkin http://t.co/N7jQPZcKLx via @CELTLawBlog 14:05:17, 2014-09-29
- My Twitter Digest for 09/28/2014 http://t.co/kse2bHmFtK 15:30:07, 2014-09-29
My Twitter Digest for 09/28/2014
- My Twitter Digest for 09/27/2014 http://t.co/IbTmZqgdVq 15:31:21, 2014-09-28
My Twitter Digest for 09/27/2014
- My Twitter Digest for 09/26/2014 http://t.co/2va8z9vy09 15:31:00, 2014-09-27
My Twitter Digest for 09/26/2014
- RT @davewiner: How Facebook and Google are taking over your online identity. http://t.co/lFv9en1lTB 09:31:39, 2014-09-26
- RT @schmidlibrary: Grace: He was due to be a lawyer in 24 hours; then his phone rang and everything changed – http://t.co/BlT4WfCz70 09:35:36, 2014-09-26
- RT @JoshData: Security is only as good as it is understood. Here's a project to educate users about SSL. http://t.co/1qpD1Ikqx3 09:38:23, 2014-09-26
- RT @AALL_GRO: Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett signed SB601 into effect yesterday, making PA the twelfth state to enact #UELMA! http://t.c… 09:45:23, 2014-09-26
- RT @davewiner: Scripting News: 20-year milestone coming soon. http://t.co/GPvSiYZ3Px 13:49:07, 2014-09-26
- My Twitter Digest for 09/25/2014 http://t.co/IDNa99x9mO 15:30:16, 2014-09-26
My Twitter Digest for 09/25/2014
- Location, Location, Location! Now I get it. http://t.co/2McfdiJALY 09:28:37, 2014-09-25
- Bugging out: How rampant online piracy squashed one insect photographer – Ars Technica – http://t.co/amqAu84awS 10:46:40, 2014-09-25
- My Twitter Digest for 09/24/2014 http://t.co/psGup50pTU 15:30:03, 2014-09-25
My Twitter Digest for 09/24/2014
- My Twitter Digest for 09/23/2014 http://t.co/Pje0csHb1H 15:30:05, 2014-09-24
Location, Location, Location! Now I get it.
I’ll admit that for the longest time I didn’t get the mobile world’s fascination with location. It seemed like one of those things that mobile developers did to push ads on me while I was in a grocery store or alert people I vaguely knew to my presence in a museum. Most implementations left me feeling underwhelmed. OK, so my phone knows where I’m at. Then what?
I’m coming around on location-based tech now as I’ve been working with a bit of it for a side project I’ve got going. The light bulb came on while writing a little web app that can tell me where I am and give me some basic info about that place. Turns out that once you peel off the veneer of constant ad generation using location in web apps (and, by extension, mobile apps) is fascinating from the developers point of view. Knowing where someone is provides a hook for offering up a lot of useful data that isn’t about selling things or letting near strangers know where you are.
And it isn’t that hard to do.
I’ve put together a little example page for you to try. You’ll need to give it access to your browser location data and then you’ll get some basic location information. I find it interesting that in testing the most accurate location comes from mobile devices. The location data returned by laptop and desktop browsers is a lot less accurate, seemingly giving more weight to your IP address than other factors.
My Twitter Digest for 09/23/2014
- @sglassmeyer @johnpmayer rent http://t.co/c1hswE3A7E in reply to sglassmeyer 13:49:58, 2014-09-23
- My Twitter Digest for 09/22/2014 http://t.co/EK4k6EOUln 15:30:13, 2014-09-23
My Twitter Digest for 09/22/2014
- @sglassmeyer Interesting to me too. Who's really pushing commodification (those dealing in commodity tools?) and what gets commodified? in reply to sglassmeyer 14:05:26, 2014-09-22
- @sglassmeyer I think OER folks understand that education is not a commodity. I don't believe that the practice of law is a commodity either. in reply to sglassmeyer 14:07:40, 2014-09-22
- At the end of the day, the PACER dust up would've been less annoying with a better written explanation. http://t.co/1JuTsKagci 14:52:32, 2014-09-22
- @sglassmeyer Kickstarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in reply to sglassmeyer 15:09:43, 2014-09-22
- My Twitter Digest for 09/21/2014 http://t.co/uQXCh16Kzf 15:30:55, 2014-09-22
My Twitter Digest for 09/21/2014
- My Twitter Digest for 09/20/2014 http://t.co/2rge4asY3n 15:31:10, 2014-09-21