4 open source chat applications for team collaboration | Opensource.com http://opensource.com/business/15/9/alternatives-slack-team-chat?sc_cid=70160000000x3w9AAA
Because profit is more important than innovation, high school testing still relies on the TI-83 graphing calculator.
But this is also a world where high school math students have to shell out $100 for the same TI-83 graphing calculator that their parents used twenty years ago (or one of its descendants, at least)—instead of using a free app that they could simply download to their phone. Why? Mic reports that the main reason is tradition. Texas Instruments has managed to get its calculators written into the standardized tests used by many schools. And inertia being what it is, it’s really hard to change something like that once it gets set down on paper.
Source: In an age of tablets and e-books, high school testing still relies on the TI-83 graphing calculator | TeleRead
This should serve as a reminder that it isn’t just the legal world that drags its feet when it comes to new and obviously better technology. The world is awash in examples of this sort of thing where a powerful incumbency holds back or outright blocks the adoption of new tech simply to preserve some profit margin. Ignoring, disregarding, or suppressing innovation in the name of maintaining profits especially in a near monopoly market is practically a rule of business.
My Twitter Digest for 09/28/2015
- RT @richards1000: http://t.co/C9srCcLDBo Sheppard: Incomplete Innovation & Premature Disruption of Legal Services. #legaltech #ai #reinvent… 06:57:08, 2015-09-28
- RT @sglassmeyer: At what point has tech world offered enough "proof" and the legal world has duty to educate itself about uses and possible… 06:57:40, 2015-09-28
- RT @wpmudev: 21 Stunning #WordPress Themes for Telling Stories http://t.co/PccWcu5zH5 #WordPressThemes 07:06:10, 2015-09-28
- RT @Xconomy: .@acquia Adds $55M as World Goes Online and Digital | http://t.co/pj0hKe83iA #startups #funding 10:21:49, 2015-09-28
- RT @sglassmeyer: New blog post: Straw Men, Picking a Team and The Future of Legal Practice http://t.co/jAi6q9hrAN 12:06:34, 2015-09-28
- RT @Dries: "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher … or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." — Douglas Adams 13:45:14, 2015-09-28
- RT @mgsiegler: A few thoughts on our new investment in @Medium /cc @GoogleVentures https://t.co/gWNtbkBXKo 17:21:52, 2015-09-28